Calories Per Bowl: 259 kcal
Macros Per Bowl: 29g Protein, 21g Carb & 7g Fat
Total Pot (3480g Soup + 650g Chicken): 1752 kcal, 212g Protein, 128g Carb & 48g Fat
Avgolemono is a traditional Cypriot soup served in the colder months and brings back so many great memories of living with my mum. It’s hard to explain, but is a lemony chicken soup with eggs and rice mixed in. It’s so fresh, comforting and zesty, and will quite often be cooked up when someone has a cold for that reason. It’s incredible low calorie, moreish and sings of healthiness. With this soup, you boil the Chicken in stock and when cooked add the Rice until cooked through. The Egg and Lemon mix is then added when the soup is cooled to prevent curdling. Take about 1h20m all in, is a little tricky, but so worth it! 😋
Serving Size: The portion photographed and mentioned above is 576g of Soup and 80g of Chicken Breast. You will get about six bowls out of the whole pot. You could serve with a side of Sourdough, or perhaps grate some halloumi, for an extra dimension.
TOTAL POT INGREDIENTS:
- Basmati Rice (uncooked) – 250g
- Chicken Breast – 650g
- Chicken Stock Gel Pot (gluten free, Sainsbury’s) – 56g
- Water – 3 litre
- Free Range Eggs – 5x
- Lemons – 4x
- Sea Salt – ½ x teaspoon
- Black Pepper – 2x teaspoon
- Optional: Turmeric – ½ x teaspoon
- Chicken is a great source of healthy lean protein. With 31 grams of protein per 100 grams, is one of the best foods for protein. A good source of Magnesium, Vitamin A, Potassium, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus and a variety of Vitamin B’s, with trace amounts of calcium, iron, zinc, vitamin C, folate, vitamin B-12, vitamin E and vitamin D.
- Lemon promotes hydration, is a good source of Vitamin C, supports weight loss and can aid digestion.
- Eggs are great source of protein and should be a staple for most active people, with egg yolk providing a nice hit of good cholesterol that helps with hormone production and cell energy. They contain calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and zinc.
- White Rice is pretty empty when it comes to nutrients to be honest, but it is so much better than choosing Brown Rice as the harmful Lectins (such as Gluten) in the wholegrain have mostly been removed. Great for getting in easily digested carbs and calories.
More Meal Ideas?
Subscribe to the Weekly Newsletter to never miss new AdapNation Meal Ideas, and use the AdapNation Butler tool to get inspiration for your next meal, based on your needs and ingredients.
Leave a comment