Mark Rippetoe, world-renowned strength & conditioning coach and authority joins us to tackle the matter of Strength Training as you get older, especially after 50 years old.
64 year old Mark, wrote the book on Strength Training – literally! His books, including Starting Strength, is considered the bible in the weight training world, and forms the bedrock on which all other reputable programming is based off of. Mark is an ex-powerlifter, gym owner, and runs strength seminars year round.
As a man who still trains heavy, and has personally coached tens of thousands of older folk who found lifting later in life, his understanding of the aged physiology is unparalleled.
In this episode, in true Rip style, Mark delivers science and frankness. He helps you understand the importance of strength training as you age, what limitations need to be managed, and specifically how to train. He challenges the avoidance of weight training with running and cycling, testosterone issues and the difference between exercise and training.
Plus loads more! This is a great episode full of training and health wisdom. Enjoy!
Check out the Full Show Notes of What’s Discussed – https://adapnation.io/129-over-50s-training/
The #BeYourBest Journey : https://adapnation.io/beyourbest-journey/ (£10 discount with BESTYEAR-2020)
Here’s what we discuss
- Mark Rippetoe’s COVD-19 Lockdown Rant!
- Understanding the Physiological Stress Adaptation Response
- Why we need to design stress into our lives these days
- The difference between Training and Exercise
- The physical sameness and differences between 20-30 year olds and 50+
- Why it’s so critically important for older people to Weight Train
- What is lacking from Cycling and Running, and what are physical downsides?
- Who is better able to fight off infection – 235lbs 50yr Lifter or 150lbs 50yr Runner?
- The importance of Range of Motion as you age, and the role of Strength Training
- Should you avoid Weight Training if have chronic aches, pains and stiffness?
- Understanding the physical and psychological effects and age-related decline of Testosterone – how to improve? Should you take TRT?
- The difference between Anabolic Steroids and Testosterone Replacement Therapy
- Should 30 year olds, 50 year olds and 60+ year olds Strength Training differently? How? Why?
- How overtraining is a recipe for disaster physically, mentally and a health and performance perspective
The #BeYourBest Journey : https://adapnation.io/beyourbest-journey/
(£10 coupon BESTYEAR-2020)
Where to find MARK RIPPETOE and his work:
▪︎ Worlds largest strength training website – startingstrength.com
▪︎ Books – Starting Strength, Practical Programming for Strength Training & The Barbell Prescription for over 40’s
▪︎ Starting Strength Socials: Facebook, Twitter & Instagram
▪︎ Mark Rippetoe Socials: Facebook, Twitter
▪︎ YouTube – Starting Strength
▪︎ Podcast – Starting Strength Radio
Third Party References
▪︎ Chris Duffin
▪︎ Christian Thibaudeau (2, 3, 4)
▪︎ Paul Carter
AdapNation Useful Links
- The #BeYourBest Self-Optimisation Journey
- Social – Instagram & Facebook & Tons of Free Website Content
- #HyperWorkouts – Expertly written Gym Workout Plans, with video guides, print-outs & HeavySet import
- AdapNation Butler – An Online Personal Assistant that can inspire easy and tasty Home-cooking
- AdapNation Food Diary – 100’s of Tasty Healthy Meal Ideas, that are focussed on helping you thrive
Please leave a 5 STAR REVIEW, and let friends / fam know of this Podcast.
Leave a comment