New month, new #HyperWorkouts Programme.
Join in on Steve’s REAL phased-programming Workouts throughout the year, in pursuit of his 2018-2019 Body Goals. No light weight for demo vid purposes – what you see here is raw. sweat, strain and form-challenging sets!
DAY 3/4, HYPERTROPHY UPPER
TODAY’S WORKOUT FOCUS:
- Bicep & Back Development – Controlled compound movements for greatest stimulus
- Massive Chest Volume – Hitting all the Chest fibres with insane volume and minimal rest for maximal hypertrophy (muscle growth)
- CV Conditioning – Little bout of HIIT to keep the heart strong and fat in check
JUN-2018 #HyperWorkouts (8 Week Programme)
WHO – This phase would be best suited for an Intermediate/Advanced Lifter due to the high volume involved, the added complexity of the undulating rep ranges and the heavy work requiring good form control.
WHAT – For June & July, we have a plateau-breaking 4-day programme where each workout is full body in nature to maximise adaptation stimulus, but has an alternating emphasis on Upper or Lower Body. Additionally, Days 1 and 2 are focussed on building Strength, whereas Days 3 and 4 are higher-rep Hypertrophy work for developing muscle.
Also, there’s an overall volume bias to Chest and Quads for this phase of the programme, to accelerate strength and growth for these body parts.
TODAY’S WORKOUT NOTES:
- Chin Ups – Looking for strict form – not kipping pull ups! Get full range of motion, chin above the bar and a smooth controlled motion. If needs be, add a weight belt to increase difficulty whilst keeping to the 8 rep range.
- Incline Bench Press – It’s important to hit full rang of motion for maximum muscle building impact. That means allowing the bar to touch your upper chest. If you can’t do that, the bar is too heavy.
- FST-7 Cable Flyes and Incline Diamond Press Up – This is going to hurt! Seven sets of 12-15 reps each, back to back. 30 seconds rest max in between Superset sets.
- SS (Superset) – Where it says Superset, that means do said exercises back to back with a break. rest in between Superset sets. It’s mostly a timesaver tool, but for more detail on Supersets, listen to AdapNation Podcast #25: Should You Use Supersets?.
- Mobility & Pre-Activation – The idea is to work on dynamic stretches and short power work to warm up your limbs into full range of motion and to do a little work on muscle recruitment timing. This will help you feel mentally and physically prepared for your working sets. That said, what you choose to do will depend on your weaknesses or mobility issues.
- HIIT Deadmills – Honestly, if you go full out on this workout, you’ll be out of gas to do much in the way of cardio. The intent of this cardio finisher is simply some moderate active recovery and to challenge your heart a little. Get the blood flowing into your limbs and begin the process of flushing out the metabolic waste buildup. Doing HIIT Deadmills today will increase calorie burn whilst staying anabolic.
Follow this vlog as it unfolds. Comment if you have questions or ideas.