New month, new #HyperWorkouts Programme.
Join in on Steve’s REAL phased-programming Workouts throughout the year, in pursuit of his 2018-2019 Body Goals. No light weight for demo vid purposes – what you see here is raw. sweat, strain and form-challenging sets!
DAY 2/4, STRENGTH LOWER
TODAY’S WORKOUT FOCUS:
- Max Strength Development – Intense 6 Sets of 3 Rep Max Conventional Deadlift
- Quad Volume – Heavy Back Squats followed by high-volume superset to fatigue Quads
- A little Isolation – Lagging Calves and Biceps getting some extra attention
JUN-2018 #HyperWorkouts (8 Week Programme)
WHO – This phase would be best suited for an Intermediate/Advanced Lifter due to the high volume involved, the added complexity of the undulating rep ranges and the heavy work requiring good form control.
WHAT – For June & July, we have a plateau-breaking 4-day programme where each workout is full body in nature to maximise adaptation stimulus, but has an alternating emphasis on Upper or Lower Body. Additionally, Days 1 and 2 are focussed on building Strength, whereas Days 3 and 4 are higher-rep Hypertrophy work for developing muscle.
Also, there’s an overall volume bias to Chest and Quads for this phase of the programme, to accelerate strength and growth for these body parts.
More detail on the overall programme design and objectives will be laid out shortly the #HyperWorkouts section of AdapNation.io.
TODAY’S WORKOUT NOTES:
- Maxing Out Deadlift – Form must be maintained, so reach as far as you can do this. A rounded back or muscle misfiring is a surefire way to end up with a herniated disc and other injuries. I use the SBD Belt (review here), some chalk for grip and some smelling salts to get me amped up!
- Heavy Squats – Form is important here, to ensure your knees and associated tendon don’t get inflamed. Listen to to this AdapNation Podcast for useful Squat tips and form cues – #19: Increasing Squat Strength – A True Masterclass.
- Extra Volume for Lagging Bodyparts – Biceps and Calves are stubborn muscles to develop. So, we’ve got a little extra cheeky volume in here – it all adds up.
- SS (Superset) – Where it says Superset, that means do said exercises back to back with a break. rest in between Superset sets. It’s mostly a timesaver tool, but for more detail on Supersets, listen to AdapNation Podcast #25: Should You Use Supersets?.
- Mobility & Pre-Activation – The idea is to work on dynamic stretches and short power work to warm up your limbs into full range of motion and to do a little work on muscle recruitment timing. This will help you feel mentally and physically prepared for your working sets. That said, what you choose to do will depend on your weaknesses or mobility issues.
- Cardio – Very little in the way of cardio. Honestly, if you go full out on this workout, you’ll not have the capacity for anymore. The intent of the cardio finisher is simply some light active recovery. To get the blood flowing into your limbs and begin the process of flushing out the metabolic waste buildup. Do too much cardio and it will be catabolic – not good.
Follow this vlog as it unfolds. Comment if you have questions or ideas.
Be sure to follow AdapNation on all the social platforms – including Instagram, the AdapNation Podcast station, Facebook and our Youtube channel. #HyperWorkouts
Leave a comment