This is another episode where we will challenge your world view of good nutrition. Today, we’re speaking all things OXALATES, with specialist Elliot Overton.
Why should you care? Is this quackery BS? I think you should listen in and decide for yourself…
Oxalate is a mild metabolic toxin found in most plants to varying degrees. Unlike other phytonutrients or molecules like gluten and lectins, Oxalates cannot be broken down by the body or detoxified by the liver. It’s eliminated… or accumulated.
Oxalates are found in high volume in many of our so-called superfoods of today – including Spinach, Cocoa, Beetroot, Sweet Potatoes and Almonds. Whilst these foods and many others have a great reputation for their health benefits, it turns out we’ve been omitting one major downside to copious all-year-round consumption of these foods – Oxalates!
In this in-depth two parter (Ep. #91 & #92), nutritionist and functional medical practitioner Elliot Overton walks us through all you need to know about this insidious yet anonymous bad actor in ‘healthy diets’. Elliot lays down a lot of science, to help logically justify the reason for concern when it comes to Oxalate Poisoning and Oxalate Dumping.
Elliot provides a potential answer to those who are suffering with a random collections of symptoms that ebb and flow. He provides a new way to look at food, issues with your body and mind, and new things you can try for yourself with diet and health management.
Elliot is not alone. There are other Oxalate leaders that are researching, treating patients and spreading the word. Those leaders, plus the 22,000+ online community of past and present Oxalate poisoning sufferers and other resources mentioned throughout, are listed below.
Here’s what we discuss across both Episodes:
🔸Elliot’s journey– from long-term vegetarian and GI issues to ancestral living, nutritionist and functional medicine practitioner
🔸 We’re overdosing on Superfoods & terrible Green Smoothies– many “superfoods” are very high in Oxalate
🔸 Oxalate history and background– 150 year old knowledge. What are oxalates, issues they cause, how the body handles them, and interesting science
🔸 Factors that predispose you to greater Oxalate absorption– Diet choices, microbiota, gut dysbiosis, environmental, genetic
🔸 Where Oxalate can get lodged– not just kidney stones! List of organs, tissues and biochemical disturbances
🔸 Why Oxalates are a big issue today, compared to the past?– the reasons that have made this an issue the previously we could manage without concern
🔸 Conditions associated with high levels of Oxalate– Usually, a combinations of these unassociated symptoms that flare.
🔸 Oxalate is not an allergy or sensitivity– The difference between immediate reactions and long-term toxic accumulation
🔸 High Oxalate Foods– a run down of the worst offenders, with approximate values
🔸 What is Oxalate Dumping?– What is happening internally, how long will it last, and how to identify?
🔸 Typical collection of symptoms of Oxalate Dumping– What you may feel, randomly and cyclically.
🔸 Steve’s ongoing experience of Oxalate Dumping– Steve goes through the unexplained, weird and coincidental last two months since dropping Oxalate
🔸 How to Manage Oxalate Dumping– Nutrition strategies, supplementation strategies, and other approaches that can lessen dumping symptoms
🔸 What is a healthy level of daily Oxalate?– Elliot provides the safe range, with caveats, as well as justifying why everyone should be mindful of Oxalate consumption
Where to find ELLIOT Overton:
- Sally Norton – leading expert and insightful website
- Lost Seasonality Paper & Overconsumption os Plants – insightful Oxalate paper by Sally Norton
- http://lowoxalate.info – Susan Owen’s informative Oxalate website
- Susan Owens – Performed over 2 decades of research to date on Oxalate and effects on autism and other conditions
- Trying Low Oxalates (TLO) Facebook Community – 22K members. Care and support. Oxalate spreadsheets. Well moderated
AdapNation Useful Links:
- AdapNation Butler – An Online Personal Assistant that can inspire easy and tasty Home-cooking
- AdapNation Food Diary – 100’s of Tasty Healthy Meal Ideas, that are focussed on helping you thrive
- Facebook Community – To get into conversation with like-minded folk wanting to be their best
- AdapNation Website – Where you will find articles, videos and journals on all things wellness, training and mindset
- Steve’s Body & Mind Progress Journals – Follow Steve’s real-world progress, following all the principles within the Podcasts
- AdapNation Instagram – To see what’s going on in our world across business, training and family
- #HyperWorkouts – Expertly written Weight Training blocks, with video guides, print-outs & HeavySet import
Please leave a 5 STAR REVIEW, and let friends / fam know of this Podcast.