Dave Cottrell, Mental Health and Mindset Coach, joins us for an open and honest exploration of mental health issues, the raging tribalism we are seeing today, and anxieties worsened by the COVID-19 crisis. Recorded 20th June 2020.
Dave is uniquely positioned to have this conversation. Suffering with Bipolar, a menacing mental condition, since his teens, he has experienced the deepest darkest times followed by mania on an infinite loop for over half his life. Luckily his attempt on his life wasn’t successful, as we are all blessed with his deep empathy, insight and wisdom when it comes to navigating mental health and modern life in general. He’s hung up his nutrition and PT hat to dedicate his energy into unique and deeply caring services of mindset and mental health coaching.
We seem more divided and more anxious than ever before. There’s tons of passion, care and energy in the world, but joined with lots naivety, vulnerability, aggression and tribalism. This dark energy is reaching its crescendo with the COVID-19 Pandemic, Lockdown and government responses.
But so much has lead to this point – Brexit, UK General Election, Trump Administration, Race Inequality, Veganism, Climate Change. The thing is, much of this energy and fighting would not be possible without social media. We would be otherwise blind to all our differences.
The problem is, a huge part of our ability to live long and well depends on our Strong Social Bonds, Community and Optimism. We’re hurting our health and our civilisation – this issue needs attention.
In this episode we attempt to bring these issues to the fore, whilst also making it a practical conversation for the listeners. We explore bipolar, mental health issues at large, the root causes, tribalism, the death of the friendly debate, social media, COVID anxieties and how to expand your comfort zone.
The #BeYourBest Journey : https://adapnation.io/beyourbest-journey/
(£10 coupon BESTYEAR-2020)
Here’s what we discuss
- Dave’s painful journey of diagnosing, living with, and overcoming Type 2 Bipolar and an eating disorder
- The 3 Lies of Depression – what people tell themselves when in a bout of depression
- What is Bipolar? How to identify and diagnose? How to live with it?
- Coping strategies and mechanisms for Bipolar and Mental Health issues
- What causes Bipolar? – dysfunctional thoughts, genetics or nutrition & lifestyle?
- Accepting a 1% change is better than nothing. It’s winning.
- Are we all on the Mental Health Spectrum? – or is it as clear as a chemical or behaviour cut off?
- Common unconscious mental health strategies – things we all do to improve our mental health without realising
- Raging Tribalism – what is causing the intense tribalism we see everywhere?
- Lockdown, Brexit, Veganism, Social Distancing, Politics, Racism – why is everything become black and white?
- The Shrinking Middle Ground – do people in the middle exist? If so, why do we no hear from them?
- Discourse and disagreement without hate – have we lost this skill?
- Is Social Media fuelling the tribalism? – Can we get the positive connection without the fighting?
- COVID Anxiety – The explosion of social and health anxiety. Is it an issue? Will things improve? Have we lost social connection for good?
- How does social anxiety manifest? – why does your comfort zone shrink, and practical ways to build it back up.
Where to find DAVE COTTRELL & his resources
- Website – www.mindsetbydave.com
- Social Media (MindsetByDave) – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube
- Twitch – www.twitch.tv/mindsetbydave
- Free 1h Mindset Coaching – A Life A Day
Referenced Resources & Third Parties
- Lost Connections by Johann Hari
- The Looking-Glass Self
AdapNation Useful Links
- The #BeYourBest Self-Optimisation Journey
- Social – Instagram & Facebook & Tons of Free Website Content
- #HyperWorkouts – Expertly written Gym Workout Plans, with video guides, print-outs & HeavySet import
- AdapNation Butler – An Online Personal Assistant that can inspire easy and tasty Home-cooking
- AdapNation Food Diary – 100’s of Tasty Healthy Meal Ideas, that are focussed on helping you thrive
Please leave a 5 STAR REVIEW, and let friends / fam know of this Podcast.
Leave a comment