20 year (ex)Vegan and acclaimed author Lierre Keith, joins us to expose the ugly truths about veganism and plant agriculture that we never hear.
Lierre breaks down the flawed and misunderstood moral, political and nutritional world views that are so popular in vegan, vegetarian and plant-based advocacy.
This is not a witch hunt. Lierre cares so deeply about causing least harm, harmonising with nature and replenishing our looted soils. She makes the claim that the most passionate about nature and sustainability, are unfortunately the most naive regarding our modern plant-heavy food supply.
This is why we did this episode. To empathetically speak to the devout Vegans, Vegetarians, and those seriously considering a plant-based diet for ethical, sustainable and nutritional reasons. There is no judgement, just adult knowledge to supplement people’s passion.
Pro-Vegan messaging can strike a chord in quick soundbites. Rebutting these soundbites requires deep dialog and understanding. Lierre’s emotional and jarring book The Vegetarian Myth does exactly that from a moral, political and nutritional perspective.
We try our best to represent the key elements of her book within this unavoidably long Podcast interview. It’s worth committing the time. We all need to level set on some ugly truths if we are to find sustainable and nourishing ways to exist.
Here’s what we discuss:
- Quick Fact Check on Lierre – regarding her former vegan approach, what she eats today, and if she receives industry funding
- Does she no longer care? – Has Lierre turned her back on her Vegan ethical, moral and political values?
- The unsaid issues with Agriculture – the destruction, cleansing, fossil fuelled, and violence
- What is Overshoot, Carrying Capacity and Drawdown – Have we overshot the capacity of the land we live on? Do we have too many humans?
- Feeding the world with Grain Calories – The environmental, sustainability, nutritional and economic issues. Human disease burden.
- Domination of the Annual Grasses – what’s the difference between annual and perennial plants, and the issue with annual grasses
- The truth about Livestock and Agricultural Feed – How much is human edible? What came first? Why do we do what we do?
- What is Agricultural Dumping – and how is it effecting the livelihoods of developing nations. Why is it a bad thing?
- How Lierre’s Health deteriorated on a 20 year Vegan – Discussing the myriad of serious mental, hormonal, skeletal and digestive issues and what was going on
- The Emotional & Physical Impact of Cheating – The cravings, euphoria, guilt and identity issues when Lierre had to ‘cheat’ in her Vegan diet.
- The health issues with Vegan staples – Grains, Sugar, Soy and Seed Oils
- Can you be Vegan without the above? – Can you get enough calories and nutrition if all grains-based and soy-based foods are removed?
- Why should Soy be considered a Drug? – What are the negative mechanism and effects to human health? What about modern soy processing?
- What Nutritional Deficiencies develop on a Strict Vegan diet? – 9+ essential nutrients are discussed, including their roles in the human body
Where to find Lierre Keith and her work:
- The book – The Vegetarian Myth
- Lierre’s website – Lierrekeith.com
- Facebook – Friend request Lierre Keith
Third Party References:
- Overshoot by William R. Catton
The #BeYourBest Journey : https://adapnation.io/beyourbest-journey/
(£10 coupon BESTYEAR-2020)
AdapNation Useful Links
- Vegan Plant-Based Diet – Tips On How To Do It Healthily
- Is a Meat-Dominant Diet the answer for Optimal Wellness?
- The #BeYourBest Self-Optimisation Journey
- Social – Instagram & Facebook & Tons of Free Website Content
- #HyperWorkouts – Expertly written Gym Workout Plans, with video guides, print-outs & HeavySet import
- AdapNation Butler – An Online Personal Assistant that can inspire easy and tasty Home-cooking
- AdapNation Food Diary – 100’s of Tasty Healthy Meal Ideas, that are focussed on helping you thrive
Please leave a 5 STAR REVIEW, and let friends / fam know of this Podcast.