Today, we’re joined by Tom Bainbridge who talks through the fascinating topic of eating habits, cravings, addictions, decision making and controlling our food environment. Getting your head around this topic could have a huge impact not only on your body goals, but how you go about managing your life through good habits whilst replacing bad habits and cravings.
Of course, resolve and having a strong enough why is the driving force behind sustained commitment to change, but, at a physiological and hormonal level our subconscious is being directed to act in ways that could be detrimental to our goals.
And these evolutionary hard wired instincts have a LOT of force on our voluntary action. So, whilst mind-over-matter has it’s place for sure, we can massively help ourselves by setting up for success physically and environmentally…
Lots of fascinating studies cited, to bring home the scientific truth behind behaviour and our food decisions.
Tom is a UK-based nutritionist, lecturer and speaker on all things health and fitness. What makes Tom great is his extreme intelligence mixed with being open-minded, practical, pragmatic and not falling for dogma. He’s a science-driven nutritionist that values the data and studies to back up statements and recommendations.
Tom runs a top-notch Nutrionist course called BTN Academy, is a frequent co-host with Ben on the Ben Coomber Radio Podcast, and is frequently invited to talk around the country. In particular, he has a deep understanding on habits, neurological and hormonal reactions in the body and the psychology as it relates to eating.
Here’s what we cover
1️⃣ Getting to know Tom – Medieval Archery, Red Wine and his approach to nutrition
2️⃣ The Nudge Theory, and acknowledging we don’t have complete free agency
3️⃣ Impact of the Food Environment vs Mental State on the Obesity Crisis
4️⃣ Stress – the impact it has on our eating habits and choices
5️⃣ Our Evolutionary Unconditioned Food Preferences – what are they and why?
6️⃣ The Dopamine Pathway and reward system
7️⃣ Innate Preferences vs Food Addictions vs Eating Addictions
8️⃣ What is a Habit-Loop, the value of habits, and what is happening neurologically to drive Cravings?
9️⃣ Practical Tips to break Cravings and Habits
🔟 Top Tips of how to better control Your Food Environment
Where to Learn More about Tom Bainbridge & his work
▪︎ BTN Academy – https://btn.academy
▪︎ Regular on the Ben Coomber Radio Podcast
▪︎ Instagram – @tombainbridge1990
AdapNation Useful Links:
- AdapNation Website – Where you will find articles, videos and journals on all things wellness, training and mindset
- AdapNation Butler – An Online Personal Assistant that can inspire easy and tasty Homs-cooking
- AdapNation Food Diary – 100’s of Tasty Healthy Meal Ideas, that are focussed on helping you thrive
- Facebook Community – To get into conversation with like-minded folk wanting to be their best
- #HyperWorkoutsYouTube Videos – 8-week training blocks, with video guides and print-outs
- Steve’s Body & Mind Progress Journals – Follow Steve’s real-world progress, following all the principles within the Podcasts
- AdapNation Instagram – To see what’s going on in our world across business, training and family
Please leave a 5 STAR REVIEW, and let friends / fam know of this Podcast.
Leave a comment