Calories: 798 kcal (or 399 kcal per stack)
Macros: 33g Protein, 52g Carb & 51g Fat
How can something so simple and easy be so damn good?! It’s mind boggling, but clearly our bodies instinctively know what’s good for us. Of course, this hipster breakfast or brunch is attempted worldwide by thousands of restaurants, and I make it my duty to trial these out whenever I can. 😉 For me and my wife, the most amazing take on this was the Spiced Beef Benedict and Eggs Benedict at TYPIKA in Claremont, Perth. Wow!
That said, you can step up to the plate and make your own take on the Egg and Avo stack. Here, we’ve kept it super simple and made it sing by using the best ingredients. Fresh Avocado, perfectly poached Eggs (using poaches) and Wild Alaskan Smoked Salmon. We used a locally baked Sourdough that has been fermented for 40 hours – this kills off the gluten and WGA, and has an amazing spongy texture. DEE-LISH-OUS! 😋
For a smaller lower calorie option, simply have one stack by reducing all ingredients in half. This will save you 399 calories, whilst not sacrificing on the flavour experience whatsoever.
- Free Range Eggs – 2x
- 40 hour Sourdough (no added salt) – 115g / 2 large slices
- Grass Fed Butter – 8g
- Avocado – 1x medium fruit / 96g
- Wild Alskan Smoked Salmon Slices – 70g / 2x slices
- Ghee – 1/2x teaspoon, to garnish
- To flavour – Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Eggs are great source of protein and should be a staple for most active people, with egg yolk providing a nice hit of good cholesterol that helps with hormone production and cell energy. They contain calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and zinc.
- Salmon is a great source of protein, that is rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids (great for the brain), high in Vitamin B, good source of potassium and loaded in Selenium. All combined give a host of benefits ranging from cardiovascular, improved mood and cognition, Joint protection and eye benefits.
- Avocados are an incredible source of heart-healthy fats. They are also incredibly nutritious, have more potassium than bananas, are loaded with fibre and can lower triglyceride levels.
- Grass Fed Butter & Ghee are great sources of healthy-fats that promote optimal health and hormone production.
- Sourdough, as it is fermented (the longer the better), gives you the enjoyment of bread with a significantly reduced hit of gluten and Wheat Germ Agglutinin, that is usually inflammatory to your gut and can cause a myriad of health risk factors in addition to food cravings.
Follow this Food Diary micro-blog as it unfolds. Comment if you have questions or ideas on meals, and please keep me honest to the above.