As a personal trainer, one of the first and most important things I need to do with any client is make sure I manage their expectations. Let’s think about it, if you have unrealistic expectations you are just setting yourself up for failure.
Setting unrealistic or realistic expectations for yourself can be the difference between failure and success when looking for optimal health and body composition
What are some of the most common and unrealistic expectations I see?
- Trying to get the body of someone who genetically has a completey different body shape – either find someone with a similar genetic build and frame to you or just work towards being the best version of yourself.
- Wanting to change your body in 2 weeks when you have been neglecting your body for years – getting in good shape always takes longer than people think.
- Trying to change too much too quickly – making small but consistent changes everyday is one of the best approaches you can make for long term success.
- Expecting the journey to be easy – to make changes to your lifestyle and body composition you have to be disciplined, patient and make real sacrifices.
- Trying to commit 100% – in reality this is not sustainable for very long. You can only eat a diet that is 100% clean, go to the gym 6-7 times a week or spend 2 hours exercising a day for so long.
These are probably some of the most common and unrealistic expectations that I have to help clients mange when we first meet. I think a lot of this unrealistic expectation comes from social media and being constantly exposed to marketing, it means we are led to believe that we can look like him or her if we take this or that supplement, train this certain way and be able to achieve it overnight. In reality leading a healthy lifestyle and getting in good shape takes a lot of hard work, patience, commitment, sacrifice and consistency; the problem is this doesn’t sell or sound sexy.
Don’t get me wrong, it doesn’t mean the journey can’t be fun and it doesn’t mean you can’t look and feel amazing. Just make sure you aim your expectations towards reality and not failure. Believe me the journey towards optimal health and body composition is totally worth it just keep this in mind when setting your goals.
Please like, share or comment if you enjoyed this blog.
Follow this blog as it unfolds. Comment if you have feedback, questions or suggestions.